VPL-VW885ES, VPL-VW760ES & VPL-VW5000ES PALADIN DCR CINEMA FORMAT LENS ATTACHMENT
Up to 38% more brightness and the extreme detail from over 2.5 million more pixels when watching movies on a cinema format screen
Sony’s new VPL-VW885ES, VPL-VW760ES and VPL-VW5000ES 4K HDR home theater projectors can now deliver the full 4096 x 2160 digital cinema resolution of commercial cinemas in your own home when watching 4K/UHD movies. In partnership for over a decade, Panamorph’s Paladin DCR lens works with Sony’s internal modes to upconvert over 80% of major motion pictures from standard 3840 UHD letterbox to full anamorphic 4096 4K – using over 2.5 million pixels for even greater brightness and clarity in the full 2.4:1 commercial cinema format. Instant push button changes between 2.4:1 movies and 16:9 content. No moving parts. Want more background? Start with our four minute intro video.
“The increased brightness had an immediate, noticeable impact on HDR content.” – Mark Henninger, Senior Editor, AV Science Forum.
“It was very obvious that adding a couple million more pixels processed by my Sony and sent through the Paladin DCR definitely increased the visual clarity and detail of everything I watched.” – Ash Sharma, winner of the Electronic House Magazine Best Home Theater of the Year
Official Paladin DCR Owner’s Thread
Just learning about anamorphic home cinema?
Visit our blog 444
Simple compatibility with most home cinemas
- Projector position. Your projector should be between about 12 feet (4 meters) and 36 feet (12 meters) from your screen and vertically mounted at about the top center of the screen.
- Projector-to-screen distance should be at least 1.4 times the width of your screen. For more information see our Setup Guidance page.
- Screen format should be the 2.4:1 aspect ratio of most movies made since 1972, although the system can be adjusted for an existing 2.35:1 screen. Flat screens are recommended over curved screens.
Easy plug and play installation
- Secure the XM2 attachment plate (XM2 kit included) between the Sony projector and ceiling mount (or to a shelf under the projector). The XM2 plate includes pre-aligned holes for the VPL-VW885ES and VPL-VW760ES but requires some basic alignment before securing when used with the VPL-VW5000ES. For more details see the Attachment Kit Installation Guide.
- Set the Sony projector anamorphic lens mode to “1.24x”, then set “Aspect” to “V-Stretch”, then play a 2.4:1 movie (formats are usually most accurately listed on the back of a Blu-ray case).
- Before installing the DCR lens, adjust the projector zoom setting to fully fill the width of the screen with the movie. Make all final adjustments to the projector to make sure all image edges are parallel with the screen edges. Finally, for a 2.4:1 screen, adjust the projector vertical lens shift so about 80% of the vertical overscan is below the screen and 20% above. For a 2.35:1 screen adjust the vertical lens shift so the overscan is about the same above and below the screen.
- Install the Paladin DCR lens to the XM2 attachment plate and complete the setup using the Panamorph Lens Installation Guide.
- For 2.4:1 movies use the Sony “V-Stretch” aspect setting. For smaller movies and TV content use the Sony “Squeeze” aspect setting or, as an option, use other aspect settings for making smaller content fill your cinema format screen.
The Paladin DCR works seamlessly with the unique anamorphic modes built into Sony VPL-VW885ES, VPL-VW760ES and VPL-VW5000ES projectors.
Order through authorized Sony projector dealers world wide
$8,995 suggested retail price includes the Paladin DCR lens and XM2 attachment kit for VPL-VW885ES, VPL-VW760ES and VPL-VW5000ES available through authorized Sony installers.
If you do not have a local Sony projector installer or if you are building your theater yourself, please feel free to contact us directly and we will be happy to provide setup and installation guidance. It’s very easy to give you confidence about what to expect from your installation if we have the details in advance, so please feel free to email us with your projector model, distance from front of projector to screen, screen width, screen border size, screen aspect ratio (we recommend 2.4:1 but 2.35:1 will also work), and if your screen is curved or flat (we recommend flat). Thousands of high end homes around the world use Panamorph lenses in their theaters. We’re happy to help!